With the increased demand for companies to operate globally, it is more important to secure ways for seamless international trade. Of course, international freight forwarding is a complex service—with many different regulations and security to follow and countless of moving entities to ship goods from one point to another.
Whether you are someone who ships one container a month or 10 containers a week, it helps t be aware of the common mistakes shippers make when working with a freight forwarding services for transportation of goods.
Mishandling the Time of the Shipment
Like any other things in life, timing is key for international shipping. Estimating the shipping time can be tricky, making this a common international freight mistake, especially among smaller businesses.
Perhaps, you want your goods to be shipped fast. You ask for a quote and find out that the shipping time is more than two weeks. If you promised your goods will arrive sooner, this is going to cause you a serious problem.
Generally speaking, if you want your goods to arrive in the destination faster, have it shipped by air. But keep in mind that air freight is more costly than sea fright and is more ideal for shipping small- to medium-sized shipments. For your larger cargoes, give it more time to transport as it is safer to be shipped by sea freight.
How to Avoid: Researching the shipping time of a freight forwarder to deliver shipments, whether for outside or just within Singapore, is a crucial step to take when working with a cheap clearing and forwarding agent. You can conveniently look it up online, and you will get a decent estimate of how many days it will take to import and export goods to certain destinations. For more accurate details, talk to a reliable freight forwarding agent.
Another way to avoid miscalculations of resources is to get a freight quote within the month of the shipment date. Shipping rates vary all the time, but as a general rule, rates change every month. So, prepare the goods to be shipped, have the details ready for your shipping company, and request for a rate within 30 days before the scheduled transportation of cargoes.
Stolen or damaged goods are a common scenario. The ship may crash, encounter a storm, attacked by pirates or be on fire. All these things can possibly happen anytime. Usually, shippers improperly insure their goods or even skip getting a cargo insurance altogether.
Also, many do not know that there are different types of insurance for different types of goods. For example, household items require to be packed by a professional in order to be insured. Being clueless with such things can result to worthless insurance.
How to Avoid: Discuss about getting an insurance with your freight forwarding company, and make sure to clarify the conditions of it. Most freight forwarding services have insurance, so it is not entirely necessary to outsource your cargo insurance, whether for an international or local freight.
When discussing about the matter with your logistics company, do not forget to mention the type of goods included in the transportation, what are and are not included in the insurance coverage and any special provisions of the offered insurance policy.
Skimping On the Most Important Factors
In relation to the previous freight error, ignoring other important factors when choosing a logistics company for the transportation of your goods can result to horrendous and more expensive delays.
How to Avoid: One thing to help you decide which company to approach is to determine your priorities. When choosing a freight forwarding services provider, keep in mind your budget, timeline and any regulations associated with the transport of your goods. If the cost is the primary concern, then sea freight is the best solution. If One thing to help you decide which company to approach is to determine your priorities. When choosing a freight forwarder, keep in mind your budget, timeline and any regulations associated with the transport of your shipment. If timeliness is critical, especially if it is for your business here in Singapore, then delivery by air plane is the way to go. Air freight may be a bit expensive, but it is the fastest and probably the safest way to ship your goods. If cost is the primary concern, there are also other shipping methods you can choose from. For FDA-approved items, there are separate documentations and regulations for that as well. The best thing to do is to seek professional assistance from a logistics services company to ensure efficiency and legality of the shipment.
Transferring of goods internationally is one of the most crucial parts of handling a commercial business. By being savvy with the ever-changing international regulations and working with a certified international freight forwarder, it is easier to avoid these pitfalls and avoid any risks associated with global shipping.
Going For the Cheapest Freight Rate
This is the most common mistake among international shippers. You are a business owner about to ship a large amount of goods and make a good profit out of it, so you shop around and find the lowest international freight rate possible, and go with that freight forwarder.
However, remember that the rate is not the only factor to consider when choosing a freight forwarding company. Freight Master does their best to provide the best logistics services for a reasonable price for your freight forwarding needs to and from Singapore; but ultimately, they go the extra mile to give you smooth-sailing shipment of your goods.
Going for the company with the cheapest freight rate may even cause more costly problems if your cargo gets delayed, lost, damaged or held up at customs. As what they say, you get what you pay for.
How to Avoid: One of the ways to confirm the experience of a company in the freight forwarding business is to find out how long they have been in the industry. There is a big difference in the performance of a year-old company and a seasoned logistics company who has been operating for decades. However, make sure to check closely if the company who has been operating longer have good track record. Being in the business for longer time does not necessarily translate to excellent services. Read reviews and see for yourself if the company can truly deliver.
Every household will encounter at least one problem with their plumbing regardless of the type of residential unit you have. It is therefore important to schedule regular plumbing servicing with a reliable plumber to ensure that your faucets are working, your toilet isn’t overflowing, and your drains are not clogged. Remember that plumbers also do more than clean the drainpipes, because you can also rely on them to fix your water heater system, gas plumbing, vent system, and exterior drainage system.
Don’t hesitate to call an expert plumber in Singapore if you ever encounter these ten common plumbing problems at home.
1. Replacement of Old Plumbing Works
At some point in the future, you will need to replace your faucets, pipes, and some parts of the toilet. Not only will the replacement of old parts prevent major emergency plumbing repairs, but you will also save money and prevent structural damage to your home. Hidden leaks can eventually destroy the walls, floors, and ceiling of your home, an accident that you could have prevented by simply calling for the nearest plumbing services company in Singapore.
2. Drain Cleaning Services
Drains also need to be cleaned regularly even if you take care not to pour oil, debris, and dirt down the bathroom and kitchen drains. The accumulation of debris can also produce a foul odor and even create leaks if they are not addressed. Consult a plumbing contractor to determine how often your home needs drain cleaning services from one of their plumbers.
3. Rerouting Plumbing Pipes
For families who are planning to move into a new apartment in Singapore, it’s necessary to inspect the plumbing in case of leaks, especially if the apartment is in an old building. You might have to request for a renovation of the unit if the leaks can no longer be fixed simply by replacing the old plumbing pipes. For this type of plumbing works, you should contact a plumbing contractor for the rerouting of the water pipes.
4. Pipe Leak Repair and Unclogging
If your pipes are hidden in the walls or under the floor, it can be difficult to detect leaks and rusting until you see stains and significant damage to the structure. If you happen to see such signs in your home here in Singapore, call a reliable worker to fix rusty pipes and toilet bowl leaks. A 24 hours plumber can take care of any of your piping concerns, including unclogging of your home’s water ways from food, debris, oil, hair and dirt.
5. Toilet Repair
Toilets will also need regular servicing from a reliable plumber in Singapore, especially if it has a lot of issues. Old apartments might need to replace some parts of the plumbing works including the installation of a new toilet to prevent leaks. If it’s an emergency toilet repair, contact a trusted 24 hours plumber who will come to rescue at any time of the day.
6. Fixture Repair, Replacement, and Installation
Although it’s commendable for some households that are doing their own plumbing, the work of a licensed plumber is still different. Do not try to fix, repair, or install your plumbing if you have no experience at all because you might end up spending more money than you initially intended to. There are expert residential-only plumbers you can rely on when you call the best plumbing services company in Singapore.
7. Water Heater Maintenance and Installation
Plumbers are also experts when it comes to the water heater system, that’s because the installation of a dual supply system will need expertise in the planning, layout, and installation of the pipes. If you live in a multi-story residential complex, it is crucial that you hire only an expert plumbing contractor in Singapore to install the system because water heaters are prone to a lot of problems. It will also need regular servicing from a licensed plumber.
8. Sewer Line Blockage Cleaning
If your home’s sewer is located underground, you will need regular servicing from a reliable plumber in Singapore because blockages and breaks in the system can cost you a lot of money for repairs. Just how expensive is it? Well, you will need contractors to dig up the area and to cover it up once it’s done. However, a plumber can offer you cheaper options to repair or clean your sewer.
9. Emergency Plumbing
You should contact a 24 hours plumber if you have broken water pipes, your toilet is acting up, the drains are clogged, the water heater has leaks, or if the sewer line is blocked. These are all considered emergency plumbing issues that can potentially damage your home, cause flooding, and lead to major renovations later. Keep a copy of the contact number of your trusted plumber just in case something needs to be fixed right away. You can prevent most of these, however, if your plumbing often gets regular servicing from a reliable plumber, even if there are no major issues at all.
10. Plumbing Maintenance and Inspection
Finally, you can rely on the best plumbing services company in Singapore for your regular plumbing servicing. If you want to know what the plumber will do during a routine inspection, you can ask for a checklist that might include the following:
• Leak check
• Testing the shut-off valve at each fixture
• Inspection of the joints and pipes that are visible
• Check for corrosion
• Check for strange noises in the shower, tubs, and drains; drain-cleaning
• Check the shower heads and faucet aerators
• Inspect the caulking in the toilet base, sink, tub, and shower
• Inspect the toilet
• Check the water supply in the laundry room
• Check the water pressure
• Replace worn-out parts
• Inspect the water heater and replace the anode rod if needed; and
• Check the temperature of the water from the water heater.
Instead of waiting for problems in your electrical works to appear, you will be able to save more money with regular maintenance and inspection from a licensed electrician in Singapore.
Here are the common electrical problems that will need professional electrician services.
1. Dimming Lights – This can be caused by faulty installation or use of substandard materials. Sometimes, flickering lights are caused by faulty wiring or outlet. When moving into a new apartment in Singapore, make sure to inspect the switches and call a licensed electrician to recommend the correct actions.
2. Faulty Installation – Never take chances when you need repairs done at home. Call an electrician if you need a new appliance installed or if there are persistent problems in your electrical wiring. Faulty installation is a fire hazard and a violation of the building safety codes.
3. Improper Wire Terminations – If you have been relying on do-it-yourself manuals to address minor electrical issues, you probably need to consult a good electrician in Singapore if you’re not confident with the results. For safety reasons, the termination of the wires must be enclosed and nutted properly in a junction box to avoid electrical shocks.
4. Unsafe Wiring – It is not advisable to fiddle with your electrical wiring if you don’t know how to properly hide or bury them. Carelessness can cause accidents or start fires. If you need help with your electrical problems, don’t take chances by fixing it yourself. Call an experienced electrician.
5. Ungrounded Receptacles – If your apartment is more than 30 years old, you need to call an electrical services company in Singapore to perform an inspection to determine if the building follows the updated electrical codes. Outdated electrical works can cause fires and accidents especially in apartment units that do not use a three-wire grounded receptacle. It’s also not advisable to change the receptacles yourself because it has to be grounded properly by a licensed electrician or a 24 hours certified wireman based in Singapore. These professionals passed the electrical license test and can help you in times of emergency.
6. Missing Clamps – Fiddling with your electrical wiring can cause problems if you don’t know how to use a junction. This requires knowledge of the proper methods of protecting wires from abrasion and damage to avoid accidents. Call a good electrician in Singapore if you need new connections installed.
7. Too Many Extension Cords – It’s not advisable to use multiple power strips and extension cords if your apartment has very few electrical sockets. Consult an electrician services firm for a proper assessment and installation of additional receptacles. Extension wires are not only unpleasant to look at, but they could cause accidents.
8. Sparks and Blown Fuses – If you notice burning odors, you need to shut off the power source immediately. It is a sign that there is a serious problem in your electrical wiring. Sparks in your electrical outlets and switches should also not be ignored because these can cause fire.
9. Electrical Shocks – It usually happens whenever you plug in a device. This is harmless, but you should consult a reliable electrician in Singapore just to be safe.
10. Overlamping – This refers to the use of a bulb with a higher wattage than is recommended for a fixture. It seems like a minor problem because anyone can replace bulbs, but you should check the manual or consult an electrician before replacing old bulbs especially if you are renting an old apartment. Some circuits in older residential complexes were not designed to address the needs of some modern appliances and gadgets.
11. Overwired Panel – For this type of problem, you need to call a licensed electrician to perform an inspection. Overwiring a panel means that there are too many circuits than what is recommended for every slot in the panel. It is a safety violation code although it will not necessarily cause fires at home.
12. Tripping Breakers – Some appliances can trip circuit breakers, especially gadgets that consume a lot of energy. If it does work, then it’s good news because it’s protecting your home from possible fires. However, it also signals that your use of electricity is over the limit.
13. High Electrical Bill – Seen changes in your electrical bill lately? You should call the nearest electrician services company because your electrical wiring needs an inspection. The electrician will help you identify which appliances or gadgets are consuming a lot of energy, if there are damaged circuits or wires, or if you need to buy energy-efficient appliances to replace the old ones.
14. Circuit Overload – If your circuit breaker frequently trips, it is possible that you have frequent circuit overloading. Call an electrician if this happens so he/she can recommend the best solution to not having enough power for your electrical needs. If you use a lot of gadgets at home, you are also using a lot of power.
15. Light Switch Issues – If the light switches don’t work properly, call an electrician in Singapore to perform an inspection. Sometimes a simple replacement of the switches is all that is needed, but if you’re unsure about your skills, you should not attempt to fix it yourself.
When contacting a licensed electrician in Singapore, make sure to look for the following qualities and qualifications: license to perform the repair or maintenance, insurance in case an accident happens, recommendations from friends or neighbors, excellent communication skills, an affiliation with an electrician services company, exact quotation for the electrical services required, and experience with the same issues you need addressed.
Finally, the electrician should be able to provide you with a warranty in case his/her work needs a follow-up or if there are other problems that might come up later. You should always keep a number of your trusted electrician in case of emergency.